Master Degree in Biotechnology
Research programme with the Universidad Autónoma del Estado de Morelos.
Start date: February and September
Duration: 2 years, Full-time
Mexican and foreign students accepted in a graduate programs at CEIB may apply for scholarships (CONACYT, Secretary of Foreign affairs, etc.).
Program taught in: Spanish
- Biotechnology Applied to the Environment. Studies on the utilization of live systems and their products for the evaluation, prevention, and attenuation of environmental problems and their impact on ecosystem health. Likewise, the design and development of efficient bioprocesses for the production of biotechnological molecules-of-interest.
- Agricultural Biotechnology. Includes the development of strategies related to the biological control of pests from microorganisms and metabolites with biological activity and biotic interactions. Similarly, the use of plant growth promoters and plant models for the study of genes with potential in agriculture.
- Biotechnology of Health Sector Products. Involves the study of genes, proteins, and molecules of interest in health ambits with therapeutic potential or potential in diagnostic methods, for achieving their production through biotechnological development.
To form human resources of high academic quality, deriving from the acquisition of basic theoretical and disciplinary knowledge and applied to an experimental work that allow these to support basic and/or applied investigation projects in the environmental, agricultural, and health areas, as well as to carry out scientific diffusion tasks.
- Give the student a solid preparation in the basic sciences with theoretical knowledge in the areas of the environment, agriculture, and health, which support their investigation, which permits them to compete in the work ambit with international professionals.
- Give the student a solid preparation in the knowledge of the environmental, agricultural, and health state of the art, promoting the analysis of the information in a critical manner.
- Train the student in the exercise of investigation oriented toward the generation of original knowledge in Biotechnology in the environmental, agricultural, and health areas with an ethical, humanistic, and multidisciplinary focus.
- Promote the participation of the student in the diffusion and dissemination of the knowledge generated in their investigation projects in oral and written form in scientific and technological forums and for those of the general public.
- Promote work in groups, as well as academic exchange with institutions of higher education, with governmental or industrial institutions, and with domestic or international institutions, for the development of Biotechnology projects in the areas of the environment, agriculture, and health.
The curricular structure of the plan of study of the Master degree in Biotechnology (MB) operates by semesters and considers a duration of two years. The Curriculum comprises 2 elective units of basic learning, 2 units of optional learning (selected topics), 4 experimental works (tutorial examinations), which involve the development of a thesis, and 4 seminars with the objective of training the students in reflection and collegiate academic discussion.
The Master degree comprises two axes of formation: a theoretic axis and an investigation axis. It considers 92 credits: 36 credits in the theoretical axis divided into 2 units of basic learning, and 2 selected topics, 56 credits in the Investigation axis, consisting of the development of an investigation project that generates originates knowledge and its dissemination, whether through scientific articles or academic meetings.
Aspirants for the study of the Master degree in Biotechnology (MB) should possess the following characteristics:
Knowledge: Basic knowledge in Biology (Cellular Biology, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, and Microbiology), Chemistry, Physicochemistry, and Biostatistics.
Understanding of scientific tests in the English language.
Skills: The understanding and editing of texts and the analytical capacity of observation, analysis, and synthesis associated with scientific knowledge.
Aptitudes: Verbal, mathematical, logistic and abstract reasoning, linguistic comprehension, written expression, analytical ability, and a capacity for synthesis and observation.
Attitudes: Of commitment, motivation, and work responsibility.
Values: Ethical and moral values, a humanistic and ethical sense, social commitment.
Respect for the social environment and for the natural resources.
Requisites for Permanency
- Be up to date with enrollment and reenrollment fees for each period.
- Obtain a global average of 8.0 or more and not accumulate two failing grades during the Curriculum of the Master degree in Biotechnology. In the case of a failing grade, the student should regularize their status.
- In seminars and experimental work, there is no accreditation by special examinations or by a certificate of proficiency.
Causes for Academic Dismissal
Students will cause a semester or definitive dismissal, according the guidelines of the General Rules and Regulations of Postgraduate Studies of the UAEM (Universidad Autónoma del Estado de Morelos), due to incompliance with the academic activities found in this Curriculum. In addition, reasons for definitive dismissal include the following: 1. when the student incurs in faults that harm the physical, ethical, or professional integrity of the university community; 2. when the student deliberately affects the physical infrastructure of the Center of Investigation in Biotechnology (CEIB); 3. When the student violates the dispositions established by university legislation, and 4. When the student withdraws from the program due to different reasons (unjustified absences for more than three weeks).
- Cover the credits established in the Curriculum.
- Conduct an original investigative work.
- Cover the administrative procedures established by the UAEM (payments of the certificate of study and the degree examination, documentary proof of no library and accounting office debt).
- Present, in oral and written form, the results of the student’s thesis work and obtain a passing grade from the Jury.
- Presenting documentary proof of an examination in the English language comparable to the TOEFL, which will be applied and assessed by the Center for Languages (CELE)-UAEM.